Sunday, April 13, 2008

Not too much going on today around here.
We did have a little excitement the other night that I forgot to mention: I had already turned in and was working on a Sudoku puzzle (yeah, I'm addicted!) when the dogs started barking and wouldn't quit. They were outside, as Dan hadn't put them in for the night yet. I looked out the window at the head of the bed (yeah, that is really cool, especially when there is a full moon...) but couldn't see anything out of the ordinary other than John had left the utility room light on down at the farm. While that was unusual, it really shouldn't have set the dogs off. Well, they didn't let up and apparently Dan couldn't hear them over the TV that he was downstairs watching. So I shut the light off and looked down towards the farm again. This time I thought I could make out dark shapes out back by the shed. Big ones. Cow-sized ones. Yup. The cows were out. And I was already in bed. Not for long. I hollered down to Dan that we had cows out and jumped out of bed and ran downstairs to pull some clothes on over my pj's. Cow chasing doesn't call for formal dressing. While I was doing that Dan quickly put something on his feet and grabbed his jacket. We quick kenneled our dogs - they are not very helpful in the cow-chasing department, even if they could get out of our yard. Dan was out the door before me and had time to stop and rouse Roger out of his easy chair before I met him down at the farm, out back. The dark shapes I had seen were indeed cows, but there weren't as many out as there could have been - four at most. Good thing, as it was pretty mucky out there! It took a bit of maneuvering, and one old girl decided she had to take a section of fence down before surrendering, but we were able to steer the ones that belonged with the dry cows back into their pen and headed over to put the gimps back in the barnyard. One of them had already 'curled up' next to the haybine and the other one, Jerzey, was standing a little ways off like I wouldn't be able to see her if she didn't move. She had something there, as she is pretty black, but I saw her eyes and she reluctantly headed back into the barnyard. After we got the two of them where they belonged, Roger (oh yeah, he showed up after we had the two out back corralled) hooked up the fence and went in to turn it on. Hmmm....wonder why they got out???
We headed back to our respective homes, we gave the dogs some treats for the good work and I went back to bed. The End.

No comments: