Friday, April 25, 2008

Night crawlers anyone??

And I am not referring to Sam abandoning his Dad in the living room the other night to go and find his Mama (who was trying to take a rest on the bed), pull himself up on the side of the bed and 'ask' to come up and nurse!

No, this is the worm-variety. On my bike ride home from chores this morning, I had a hard time maneuvering around all the night crawlers that had escaped from the soggy ground. Dan mentioned when he got home a bit later that Marina was out 'harvesting' them. That reminded me of years ago when Nina Pipe would do the same thing. She loved to fish! I didn't know that about Marina, but there are a few things I don't know about her. Maybe she has a buyer for night crawlers. My brother, Mike, and I used to sell worms. Actually he raised them in beds in the woodshed (always smelled like dead worms in there!) and I got roped into 'manning' the stand out in front of the house when he had better things to do. I think it was when we would dig for earthworms that they figured out that I needed glasses. We always got more for the night crawlers, as they were harder to find (and bigger!). I don't remember going out to pick them up on the roads so much, mostly digging in the garden.

Oh the memories a bunch of soggy worms will dig up, huh???

1 comment:

Sally said...

Ha ha ha, funny play on words...night crawler... :)