Sunday, February 10, 2008

Grandpa Bacon

Connie and Mike took Grandpa Bacon into the ER yesterday and he was admitted with pneumonia. For those of you who might not know, he is on oxygen all the time and other than going to the doctor, he is pretty much house-bound (by choice). We went to see him today and he had a room full of visitors! Connie was there with Roger, and Alice had come from De Pere. Grandpa was in very good spirits and looked pretty good as he was sitting up in a chair. Connie thought he was doing much better than yesterday, for sure. He is getting antibiotics and fluids, too, as he was dehydrated. The nurse came in and took his vitals just before Dan and I left and everything was right where it should be. He said that Doctor Strohbusch (Alice said it was two different beers put together, so that is how I spelled it - don't really know) stopped in this morning and mentioned nursing home. This is not at all upsetting to Grandpa, and when we stressed that it was up to him he said he would rather someone else made the decisions. The Dr. said that Iola had openings right now. That is where my Grandma Jensen was and I remember it as a pretty nice place. I don't know if it was brought up as an interim thing or if he was thinking of a permanent move. At any rate, it will need to be discussed soon as they only plan on keeping him in the hospital for a few days.
Many thanks to Connie and Mike for looking after him yesterday and making the right call of taking him in. A lot of Grandpa's care falls on Connie's shoulders, and I hope she realizes how much we all appreciate it. Kudos!

No comments: