Linda and I went over to visit Grandpa Bacon this morning. He was dozing in his recliner when we got there, but roused and visited with us when we knocked on the door. His roommate, Bill, must spend most of his time somewhere else, as he has never been in the room when I have been there. I did see him out in the lounge area today, though.
I guess the last couple of days Grandpa has been having a bit of trouble with nausea. Apparently his breakfast didn't stay down too good today. He seemed in fairly good spirits, even so. One of the aides said that there was some flu going around in the home. Unfortunately, that is one of the hazards of being there. He picked at his lunch (fish and chips) but managed all the beverages (chocolate milk, cranberry juice, water and coffee) and the dessert - cheesecake. A well-fried egg may have done him in this morning. I suggested that he ask for scrambled next time.
The phone is in place, but the line wasn't hooked up yet. Hopefully it will be by 5:00 as the phone company promised. We ended up putting his phone from home in the room for him as Roger wanted to get one with an answering machine for the house anyway. Grandpa had mastered that phone, so there is nothing new to learn (important).
He told us about some of the physical therapy that he has been doing. He doesn't like doing it, and wasn't ready to agree that it would be helpful. How well the rehab goes will be, in a large part, up to him. Any encouragement from family and friends may be helpful. He proudly showed us the letter he received from Kyle, and he has had a couple of cards from Grace and Dick and some folks from the church, plus the pictures colored by Hailey.
When Linda and I signed in today, I also signed in a couple visits that Roger and the other boys had made. Dan and Roger were there Monday, Roger alone on Tuesday, Aunt Audrey and Judy on Wednesday, and also Helga Onan (Mike's Mom), then Roger and John on Thursday. I was pleased that he had someone come every day this week. That will not always happen, but it's nice when it does. Roger took his reading lamp there for him one day, and his slippers (he had sent them home but wanted them back) and I got his name put on those things today. Everything that belongs to him needs to be marked, so if anyone takes anything, please mark it first (just BACON is fine) or get a marker from the office. When he first went in they had us make a list of his clothing that was brought. I don't know if that list has been updated and I'm not sure how they keep track of that. I re-marked a shirt today that wasn't readable (the laundry gal was pretty sure it was his and he seemed to think so, too).
He is enjoying the sunshine that comes through his window, pretty much all day as he is on the south side of the building. He even noticed bunny tracks in the snow that led from the sidewalk right up to the building. There doesn't seem to be any action by the birdfeeder. Linda wondered if they had even unwrapped the suet before they put it out. If the snow hadn't been so deep there I would have gone out by it and shaken the feeder down, too. Next time....
On a different note: be sure to check out the kids' blogs for pictures of Thomas and Sam together - too cute!!!!
MIA
13 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment