Saturday, March 29, 2008

Scrabblin' Good Time!

Had a great lunch (home-made tacos - yum!) at Mom and Dad's, followed by an energetic game of Scrabble. Energetic, you say? You obviously have never played a game of Scrabble with my Mother and niece, Cariann! (or Mary or Lorrie, either for that matter!) This is not a polite parlor game, played the 'Hansen' way. There are 'cheat sheets', a couple of dictionaries, and if that isn't enough you make up words! Of course this goes over better if you can keep a straight face and come up with a plausible meaning. (think Scrabble meets Balderdash!) Needless to say, you would have to do that while 'looking' in the dictionary. [did I give something away here??] Seriously, there are ALOT of 2- and 3-letter words out there that I couldn't make up if I wanted to! My mother is FAMOUS for spelling at least two words in most plays. The trouble with that is that it makes a lot of the other letters useless because they are all blocked in! That is where those 2- and 3-letter words really come in handy. And there are so many of them, who would notice if you used one that wasn't on the list? Me!!! I'll bet that you didn't know that Scrabble was a contact sport, either! Mom accused Cari and me of kicking each other under the table (she might have been right on that...), but I didn't knock my coffee over! I should have gotten points for that!
At the dinner table, Cari and I were comparing notes on clutziness - and I think she wins! She showed me a mean looking scar from pouring hot honey on her hand - ouch!! I don't usually leave marks from the things that I do. We had a great time visiting and as usual, some of the best chatting was over preparing food and doing the dishes afterwards. Men miss out on so much when they opt to sit in the other room!
Oh, the Scrabble game? And the winner is......Cariann!!
Until next time......and there will be a next time!

No comments: