Thursday, August 7, 2008

Everyday life on the farm....

Nothing too exciting going on around here. I finished up the chopping this morning - just got home a bit ago. The fields that are left -

I started this post yesterday, and as usual, didn't get it done in one sitting. Oh well. The rest of this was written on Friday, August 8th.

As I was saying, the fields that are left will be baled. After lunch I dove into the farm bookwork [I had a good start on it before I was called to go and chop] and was able to get it completely done by suppertime. That always is a good job done. All in all, a pretty good day.

I need to do a quick update on Uncle Laverne for the family:
Aunt Audrey called the other night and said that he is back down at Madison. He had to go for an appointment for cleaning/rebandaging and they were appalled at the condition of his burns. Also they felt he wasn't receiving the pain meds that were necessary to deal with his discomfort. So, for now, he will remain there. I haven't heard anything else, and Dan hasn't had time to give David a call. Hopefully he will do that this weekend.

Roger is back to combining the wheat - after a false start or two, when Dan had to do some repairs to the combine. They had it overhauled this winter/spring, and apparently the fan checked out okay at that time. Wasn't in good shape now. Hopefully they can get the rest of the wheat off without any more disruptions.

There is the continuing saga of the irrigation well. I haven't written about that because it changes every day. First there was a well drilled - no water (there were wells all around that area, so it should have been okay), then a test well that shows no water at that site, then a test well done in another spot that indicated there would be plenty, then another well is drilled, there is water, but not enough and Dan said they ran into further complications yesterday. Not a happy story and confusing as well.

Dan just called that he had to make a side-trip on his way home from Plover. He was bringing tacos for our lunch. John needed him to pick up some hyrdraulic oil for the dump trailer (for hauling wheat). There is always something. No problem for me, because I had him get me a burrito - easily warmed up. His tacos would be better eaten right away though, as microwaved lettuce doesn't bear thinking about....

I've got a busy afternoon planned with critter-care (litter/bedding, etc.) and mowing. I wonder how long I can drag out changing litter and guinea pig beddig...


No comments: