I can't believe that August is nearly over. Some kids in the area will be returning to school this week - it seems like another lifetime ago, that our kids were looking forward to/dreading that, depending on the child, and the year. The bus still goes past our place, although it is the Iola/Scandinavia bus, and we occasionally catch a glimpse of the Amherst one buzzing by on Cty T - memories of days gone by....they were good days, but are in the past, where they belong. If they weren't, we wouldn't be able to enjoy those little grandsons like we do! :)
I didn't caption the first photo, but Dan enjoys grilling when he has the time. He really is very good at it, considering he hasn't had much practice. And when it is just the two of us (most times) he does up enough for a couple of meals - makes for easy cooking on days when I am in the tractor. :) Most likely, that is where I will be later today, as Roger was busy cutting hay yesterday.
My friend, Suzi Sannes, was here from North Carolina for a couple of weeks. She was helping out with her newest granddaughter, Chloe, and her two older brothers, Colby and Caden. Her daughter, Lisa, lives in Wisconsin Rapids, and Suzi and I were able to meet up for lunch one day. Thanks so much for that time together, Suzi, I really enjoyed our visit!
Sally took a few pictures of the Gopher-to-Badger Half Marathon, which was on August 14th. It was hot, humid and not a good day for me to try and run 13.1 miles. I finished the race (I have the finisher's medal to prove it!) but it was NOT pretty! I walked at least half of that distance, although I never stopped until I was across the finish line. I paid for my stupidity - nausea and leg cramps soon followed. All of which helped to convince me that I didn't need to put myself through that misery again.
I love running, and I will continue, just not doing a long run like that. I have three events coming up: 8/28 - Run, Bike, Unite Duathlon (teamed up with Becky Towne, who will bike); 9/4 - Justiceworks JustRun 5K; 9/11 - The Wounded Warrior Run 5K, in which Heather will be joining me :). I usually try to spread them out a bit more than that, but these were all in Stevens Point, so close by and convenient. It will be especially fun to do the events with friends, as I usually run and train alone. My body has decided to forgive me for the torture I put it through on the 14th. It's all for fun and good causes from here on out!
We were able to go up on Friday before the Half, and got to spend a little extra time with Sally, Scott and the boys - ALWAYS a good time, and great hospitality! Sam was sure he ought to be able to come downstairs and sleep with us, and was quite disappointed when Gatfly said no - I definitely needed a good sleep before the run, and Sam break-dances in his sleep. ;) Scott did some marvelous grilling - I'm sure Dan was taking notes - and we dined like royalty, both evenings. Thanks kids!
Because I wasn't feeling all that great after the run, we opted to spend a little more time with the Aho's and didn't make it back for my class reunion on Saturday night. By the looks of all the pictures posted, there was a pretty good crowd and everyone had a great time on the Chief Waupaca. I missed seeing them, but a few of my closest friends weren't there, anyway. Next time!!!
Oh - Becky and I will be Team 'Bacon and Legs' for the Duathlon on Saturday - hope to get some good pictures of that! This has been posted on our new computer, and it has taken me a bit to figure everything out - maybe I'll get things posted a little quicker next time! (or not.....)
No comments:
Post a Comment