On Monday, June 28th, I got to do daycare for Sally and Scott's boys - Sam, who would be 3 in a week, and Ryan who was just 8 months old. I think I had forgotten how much work two little ones can be! I don't know how you Grandmas do it that take care of your grands on a weekly/daily basis! I was worn out after one day! I ventured a trip to WalMart in Hudson with both boys, to pick out something for Sam's birthday. I had thought to let him pick out a bike helmet, but he said he had one (Sally had gotten a used one at a garage sale) and didn't need one. So we looked for something else for his bike that Grandma and Grandpa Aho had bought for him. Wouldn't you know, he saw the bike horns and fell in love! Somewhere along the line, I had vowed I wouldn't do that to the kids (his parents), but those big blue eyes are hard to resist! (besides, his bike lives in Baldwin....) Fate would have it that it rained that morning, so he had to be content with riding circles in the garage, where the bike horn resounded, delighting Sam and giving me an excuse to go and check on Ryan, who was miraculously sleeping through it in the living room!
After lunch, my friend Gabby from school came down from Barron to visit - it was really great to see her! She has been busy teaching summer school, but was free in the afternoons, to my pleasure. We hadn't seen each other since school, so there was a lot to talk about, and we only scratched the surface! Thanks to Facebook, we had reconnected so I had been in touch with her for awhile. A lot of folks grouse about Facebook, and I know the younger ones sometimes feel that us old fogeys have trespassed on their territory, but I think our generation uses it differently than they do - like reconnecting with good friends from another lifetime! ;)
Sam quickly got over his shyness with Gabby and proceeded to demonstrate just about everything that he knows. He had to sit by her for supper, after we convinced her to stay and eat with us, and also to get into the picture I had Scott take of the two (3) of us. He was a good little host, too, when she got there. We were sitting out in the back yard, and it was warm, so he went and got bottles of water for all of us - one at a time from the fridge in the garage. Ryan was in 'stranger/danger' mode, so he wasn't too sure about Gabby. He did warm up, though, and shared some of his million dollar smiles with her before she had to leave. (safely, from Mama's arms, of course)
I headed home around 7:00, as I had to milk cows the next morning. It was a long drive home, but so worth it! Thanks for the opportunity, kids!
No comments:
Post a Comment