Handy-Man Sam!
As has become our habit, we went up to see Sam and his family on our Sunday off. I had decided that I would rather get an earlier start and head home a little earlier so that it wasn't so late when we got home. Thus the sunrise picture - it was absolutely beautiful, although the picture doesn't do it justice.After a yummy breakfast of German Oven Pancakes [aka, Humps 'n Hollows], we were sitting in the living room watching TV and visiting. Sally off-handedly mentioned that they had contemplated knocking out a doorway from the living room through to the kitchen, by the entrance door from the garage. Well....anybody who knows me will know what came out of my mouth - "let's do it!" That was all Sally needed, so she headed out to the garage to find something to pry the chair-rail off. I don't think that Scott thought we were serious, but he soon saw that he was outnumbered (Dan opted for neutrality at this point) so he jumped on board. I think he was concerned that the wainscoting might not come off in one (reusable) piece if he didn't. It wasn't long before Dan got involved too, removing outlets - with Sam's help, of course. Hmmm.....what constitutes a live outlet? Or: How does one discern which way the electrical wire is running? Luckily all issues were resolved without any mishaps. Scott was able to re-route the wire down in the basement without using any additional wire and also added a junction box with a plug in. Nice work, Scott! I could really see myself in Sally as she attacked that wall! I have always enjoyed "remodeling" projects - read: destroy something and then try to make it look better. I am famous (in some circles) for knocking out walls, and ceilings, too! All the while we were working on this (and it really didn't take all that long!) I kept thinking, "how are they going to convince Sam that you don't go around knocking out just any ole wall??" I guess they will have to deal with that as it comes up. His "play tools" may have to be put up for awhile, though....Sally called us on our way home and said that Hunter and Sam had already run around the 'loop' about a dozen times! Our kids had that opportunity here, and they loved it as well. I think it is going to make their house feel a little bigger, and will vastly improve the air flow. I wonder if Scott will claim they have plans next time Dan calls to see if we can come up to visit??
1 comment:
Thanks for the destructive gene! We are loving our new route! Sam can't get enough of it!!!
Post a Comment