Monday, May 18, 2009

The Corn Planting is Done!

Every year there is an unofficial race to see if we can beat the year before, and while I didn't mark it on the calendar (Roger has it down somewhere) I think the corn is in about 10-11 days earlier than last year - possibly a new record for us! You have to understand, that unlike the farmers who just do crops, we have to work around our milking chores as well. Soybeans are next, and John is out prepping the fields for them right now. Yay! By the looks of the hayfields, we will be haying soon, also. Dan will be tackling the spraying, as well. Fun times ahead - read: long, long days and short tempers.

Since I have a brief reprieve - all the work with the soil-saver is done - I worked on mowing our lawn. Finally!! While it looks different, I'm not sure I would go as far as 'better', yet. Next time, I will (hopefully) have a shorter interval and use the push mower. That will depend on the haying, I am sure. Once that starts, I keep pretty busy running the chopper until we are done.

Well, I have the push mower ready to do the areas I can't do with the rider, so I had better get at it. Hope you are all enjoying the sunshine, if not calm winds. I have just about had it with the wind! It makes you tired to be out in it, even if you aren't doing that much!

Next on my agenda for free time is getting the garden in. That, and I have a weaving order waiting for a rainy day....there's always house-cleaning, but we won't talk about that.....

I checked with Roger this morning, and he says that one year (he didn't specify which one) he had all the corn in by May 9!

No comments: